Skip to main content


In 1919, Lukang gentry Koo Hsien-jung merged four old sugar companies, one after another, from the Xihu Dingliao sugar factory, Puyan Sansheng Dafeng Branch, Pitou Lian Jiao Cuo as well as the company named Erlin Dapaisha Sugar Refinery, which he operated with Taiwanese Chen Zi-cheng. In October of the same year (the 8th year of the Taisho period), Tamato Sugar Co., Ltd. was founded.

In July 1920, it merged with the Japanese company, Meiji Sugar Co., Ltd., and was renamed Xihu Sugar Refinery.

On May 1, 1946, soon after WWII ended and the Taiwan retrocession was over, companies like Dai-Nihon, Taiwan, Meiji and Ensuikou sugar companies which were operated by the Japanese were all nationalized and merged to become the Taiwan Sugar Corporation, which fell under the direct control of the Ministry of Economic Affairs. Xihu Sugar Refinery was formally renamed Xihu Sugar Refinery, Taiwan Sugar CORP.

On March 8, 2002, Xihu Sugar Refinery ended its production activities and was transformed into a tourist sugar refinery which integrated the history of the sugar industry and promoted the preservation and reutilization of cultural heritage.

On July 19, 2003, the half-gauge sugar train obtained permission for operation and officially reopened its doors to allow visitors to experience a rural, nostalgic and intellectual journey.

On January 1, 2004, organizational changes prompted the Taiwan Sugar CORP. to integrate the asset management businesses of Xihu Sugar Refinery, Zhunan Graduate School, Yuemei Branch Factory and Pu-Li Sugar Factory into the Central Region Branch Office of Asset Management, Taiwan Sugar CORP.

On October 1, 2005, the organizational structure was readjusted and restructured in order to boost the operating efficiency, and the corporation’s structure was consolidated to become the Taichung Region Branch Office, Taiwan Sugar CORP.

In 2006, the Bureau of Cultural Heritage, which was then known as the Provisional Office of the Council for Cultural Affairs Administration and Cultural Heritage, added the Xihu Sugar Refinery to the Reuse Project of Industrial Sites and helped to preserve and activate it for reutilization.

On December 9, 2007, the SL346 Steam Locomotive was completely repaired and reopened its doors to visitors with only one tour in the morning and afternoon on holidays.

In 2008, Changhua County Cultural Affairs Bureau assisted in repairing the Steam Locomotive Exhibition Hall as well as collecting the early steam locomotives of Taiwan Sugar CORP., such as #604, #326 and #364, other types of locomotives, the old photos of the sugar refinery and the railway facilities for display.

From 2009 to 2010, Changhua Country afforested and beautified the landscape along the Sugar Train Route and built it into a cycling route.

From 2011 to 2012 the Taichung Region Branch Office strove to gather funds for developing a cultural and educational leisure park with a multifunctional activity area, ecological pond, lotus pond and cherry forest, etc. In addition, the office expected to combine itself with the Xihu Sugar Refinery and local cultural industries that produces grapes, mutton hotpot and other agriculture products. It also attempted to become the best sugar industry historical and cultural attraction site in the central region with a strong focus on tourism and leisure.

On October 1st 2014 the Taichung Region Branch Office was renamed the Taiwan Sugar CORP., Zhongzhang Operation Branch in response to the dictates of the Japanese Operation Branch.

  • back
  • top